8th-9th November 2022.
Act now to keep up the pressure to stop airport expansion.
Those opposing the growth of Bristol Airport have been truly incensed and insulted by the decision given by the Planning Inspectorate and there is a raging appetite to get this ruling quashed. BAAN consulted with their barrister, Estelle Dehon, and decided to challenge the Inspectorate’s decision by requesting a Statutory Appeal via the High Court. Against the odds, we have been successful in securing a hearing in Bristol for 8th-9th November 2022.
We are also asking supporters to get involved in putting pressure on local MPs and through letter-writing, and visiting surgeries.
Below is key advice about the actions you can get involved in:
1. Attend the two-day vigil – 8th/9th November
A respectful vigil is being organised by local groups over the two days of the court hearing. The court is located at the Bristol Civil Justice Centre, 2 Redcliffe Street, Bristol. BS1 6GR. A sizeable attendance is needed to demonstrate that airport expansion is wholly unacceptable whilst we face a climate emergency and that local opposition remains as strong as ever. The vigil is due to take place from 8.30am until 5pm each day outside the courthouse.
A variety of activities are being organised including appearances by the Bristol Landing Crew, XR Families, MEDACT, Aged Agitators, faith groups, youth groups. and Red Rebels. Activities planned will involve speeches, street performances and singing by a 40-strong choir.
Come down, bring your banners and placards to make your views on airport expansion known.
Media attendance is expected on the morning of 8th as well as at lunchtimes and at the end of the case. Please note that the result of the case will not be made until a couple of weeks/months after the hearing.
Come back here or check our Facebook page for further details.
2. Walk Against Airport Expansion – Sunday 6th November at 10am
Residents in the Chew Valley area are organising a walk from Chew Magna to the airport on Sun 6th Nov starting at 10am. Aimed to raise awareness of the forthcoming High Court challenge on 8th/9th Nov.
3. Get updated
BAAN is attending a programme of events over the coming month with the aim to update supporters with details of the court hearing and the latest challenges to the aviation industry. At the key meetings there will be a panel of campaigners including a lawyer involved in the case.
We will be discussing:
– details of the arguments,
– how to lobby politicians – local and national and
– how to get involved in the vigil planned outside the court.
The tour dates are:
- Saturday 15th October – Stall at Keynsham Community Eco Festival – Farmer’s Market at 10.00am.
- Tuesday 18th October – 30-minute slot at Bristol XR Meeting. Cotham Church Hall. 7.00pm (food from 6.30pm).
- Wednesday 19th October – Keynsham Panel. Keynsham Baptist Church. Keynsham BS31 1DS. 7.30pm
- Thursday 20th October – Chew Valley Panel. The Old School Room, Chew Magna BS40 8SH. 7.30pm
- Tuesday 25th October – Bath Panel – St John’s Hall, Bath BA2 6PT. 7.00pm
- Wednesday 26th October – Weston-Super-Mare XR Meeting – Faces Cafe 4-9 Station Rd, WSM. BS23 1TB. 7.00pm
- Saturday 5th November – Information/Action Stall at Patagonia Outdoor Clothing Store, 81 Park Street, Bristol. BS1 5PF. Times: 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Sunday 6th November – Walk Against Airport Expansion (full details above). This event is organised by residents who live in the Chew Valley area.
- Monday 7th November – PLEASE NOTE CHANGE Our lawyers for the High Court challenge, Leigh Day Solicitors are giving a free talk about the Judicial Review process and other legal ways to resist poor government decisions. Due to the train strike on Monday 7th Nov this event has now been changed to an online event. To register click below.
4. Send letters to lobby key MPs and ministers
The political landscape has changed again and there are quite a few new postholders with responsibility for local government planning and transport policies. We want to keep airport expansion at the top of their intray so a suite of new letters have been drawn up. If you can, BAAN would really appreciate it if you can lobby the key MPs and ministers using the templates below which are devised to be a guide that can be adapted as you see fit. Many thanks in advance.
5. Join us and promote us on social media
Get updated by emailing BAANcc@prontonmail.com and request email updates. We need to keep the campaign alive and informed so the use of social media must play an important part in our activities. Find us and like/follow us on: